Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Jump school 4/10 and catch up post...

Headed down the mountain for a jump school last week. 

Liam was patiently waiting getting tacked up, but I couldn't get both of his ears up at the same time for a picture.

Left Ear

Right Ear

Oh well...

It was warm, which was awesome, and we were able to ride outside in the big outdoor for the first time this year.

I warmed up and Liam was being very good.  I had a little extra time before my friend was available to help set jumps, so I really flatted Liam.  Was working on adjustability in the trot and canter.  He was being a really good boy, very relaxed.

Here is a picture of the course:

Started out over the dark grey vertical.  It was set as a cross rail and trotted it both directions.  I despise trot jumps, but they really are improving.  Shall I say almost enjoyable...?  Then we worked over the gymnastic.  Trotting in 1 stride to a 2 stride (red, yellow, and green).  I am loving all the gymnastics we have been doing lately.  Liam and I really needed it.  We worked on landing straight from the gymnastic.  Liam wanted to throw his right shoulder in and dive through the corner to blow off the change.  I almost have to think that I am turning left after the gymnastic until I turn right.  Was able to correct the right dive and the left to right change came perfect a couple of times.  I need to remember to keep Liam straight and connected and the change works out.  Then we cantered the blue vertical on a circle both directions. At this point Liam was getting a little flustered with the flying change, but he was listening, just making a big move for the change and I decided it is best to do a few simples instead of flyings.

Next we started with our first little course see below:
The course was right lead up the quarter line over the dark vertical, down the diagonal over the white one stride (light grey, figured I couldn't make a white line in paint...), left around the gymnastic over the blue vertical bending 90 degrees to the grey vertical again.  First time Liam rushed after fence one, the grey vertical, because he was worried about the change and we got in a little tight to the one stride and he had to make a big effort out.  He wouldn't listen to my half halts.  But he landed from the one stride and just cantered down the hill around the gymnastic to the blue bending to the grey lovely.  Did the entire course again and was able to fix the rush after fence one and the rest of the course was beautiful. 


 Second course:




We started out by cantering into the gymnastic making it like a triple combination.  Then right 180 degree turn back to the dark grey quarter line vertical with a 90 degree bending line to the blue.  Right around the gymnastic up the one stride.  First time, I went to the gymnastic/combination a little to slow and we had to move up out.  Then Liam wanted to race for the change, but I made him wait patiently and we got to fence two beautiful.  He dived left and we got close to fence three in the bending line.  Again, Liam was blowing off my halt halts and throwing his head.  Around the gymnastic with a lead change up over the one stride which worked out.  Did the entire course again fixing the combination with more impulsion in.  Liam dived left again from the grey to the blue 90 degree bending, cantered up the hill over the one stride which was good.  I went straight left lead from the one stride to the dark grey vertical left bending 90 degrees to blue and Liam dived left again making the blue tight. UGH!!!  Walked a minute.  Decided to come off the right lead doing the same 180 degree turn from the course to the grey vertical bending left to blue.  Really concentrated on staying straight after the grey and Liam did a lovely bending line to the blue. 

All in all he was a good boy.  We started out quiet and actually got hotter as the jump school went on, but all in all he listened and as long as I rode well he behaved himself.  I need to remember to keep Liam straight between my legs and hands and all typically works out.

I had to rush home after the jump school and pack the camper for the weekend in New York at my husbands race. 

Diesel was helping me pack:
 


Then Diesel decided that packing was tiring and just slept on the couch in the camper and watched me pack:


I had a lovely weekend with the hubby at the motocross race.  The weather couldn't have been more beautiful:
 

Rode yesterday, Monday, and Liam was a little ball of fire.  Not sure if it was because I was away all weekend or because the spring grass is coming up.  Hoping to ride today, but I am not sure I will make it out to the barn.  Jump school again on Thursday and maybe horse show on Saturday.  We will see...

No comments:

Post a Comment