Friday, April 25, 2014

Daily Grooming

I am a true believer that daily grooming is the most important grooming that a horse owner does.  I want to share with you my daily grooming protocol (can you tell I am scientist?).  It is fairly simple, but it keeps Liam's coat super shiny and looking healthy.


1.) Curry the entire body.  Head, legs, and body.  I use a curry mitt.  I like it the best compared to other curries.  I find that I can easily bend it around the legs, get into small crevasses, and it is soft enough that most horses, even sensitive Liam, tolerate it well.

 

 
2.) Brush off all the loose dirt, hair, and dander with a dandy brush.  I use short quick swipes with this brush.  I brush the entire body and legs, excluding the head.
 

3.) Brush the entire body and head with a soft brush.  I do this with long sweeping strokes.  This usually brings out the shine.

 

4.) Pick all feet.  I just use a regular hoof pick with brush.  I really like the ultimate hoof picks, but not enough to sacrifice that little brush that comes on a regular hoof pick.


This is all I do before I ride.  Then after I ride I repeat the entire 4 step process above adding in Keratex Hoof Hardener every other day. 


In the warmer weather I will skip the the 4 step protocol above after I ride and hose Liam off.  I do curry him wet and hose him off again.  This really gets out the underneath dirt without drying out the skin.  I only give a bath before shows or once in the spring after a long winter. 
 
 

1 comment: