Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Blog Hop: Appreciate What You Have



Let's take a moment to appreciate the Pros of our current ponies, whether you own them or just ride them in lessons.

This blog hop comes at a perfect time for me.  I was really down over this past weekend.  I feel like every second of my life is scheduled and yet I don't have anytime to do anything.  Liam is a ton of work to get to the show ring.  He has to be ridden at least 5 times a week or he turns into a spook monster and because I am a DIY'er it all falls on me, which is good and bad at times.  I miss many social and family events because I am riding or taking care of Liam and that bums me out sometimes.  But then, I had a beautiful Easter morning trail ride with Liam and I couldn't have been happier that day.  Would I have loved to go to Easter brunch with the family, yes I would have, but Liam needed to be ridden and I had to work in the afternoon.  These are the hard decisions I make on a daily basis and I always put Liam first.  I figure if I am spending all this money to have a horse, I might as well make it worth it!

Now lets get to the blog hop part and appreciate the pros of Liam for a moment:

Liam absolutely adores attention and makes me feel like the most special horse owner in the world.  He whinnies at me when I go to the field to get him.  Cuddles with me while I groom him.  He is generally a very happy horse to be around.



Liam is a trier.  I have to be very careful of this because he tries super hard and gets really frustrated when I tell him he is wrong.

Liam has the most comfortable canter I have ever sat on.  Literally I can canter him all day.  He is so balanced that he makes it easy.

He is an athlete with a scopy jump.  More scope then I will ever need.

Liam generally has good feet for a thoroughbred and saves me money every month because I only have shoes on his front feet.

He lets me clip his ears, pull his mane, clean his sheath, etc without any fuss. Great ground manners.

Liam has taught me a ton in the 3 years I have owned him.  He is the first horse that taught me to really ride the back to the front.  He has a very sensitive mouth and if you take a feel of his mouth without enough leg to back it up you better be ready to kiss his ears.  As soon as he flips his head I know I need more leg and that has really taught me the balance between leg and hand.

Liam is pretty uncomplicated othewise to ride, consistency is key with him.

Liam is that special horse to me and he has a forever home with me.  He is the first horse I purchased and cared for completely finacially on my own and that means a ton to me too!  I just love him.  We are a good match and really understand each other.





10 comments:

  1. Being an AA is so hard sometimes but we gotta cut ourselves lots of slack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its tough to balance life sometimes, but all your hard work is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seem to mean more when you are the one supporting them completely! I never had this level of devotion with any horse as a junior! He sounds like a wonderful guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally means more now that I am footing the bills! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Aww great list!! He sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He really sounds like a wonderful horse! Gotta love TBs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liam is a wonderful horse and Jessica rides him sooo well! Its worth the effort Jessica! !!

    ReplyDelete