Friday, April 4, 2014

I need to go shopping!!!

I haven't shown with any regularity since 2009, so my show wardrobe is a little dated and not very comfortable. I kept an old school, non-soft shell, pinstriped (yuk) navy show coat, unknown brand, and probably an original white coolmax shirt from Essex. I took all my other show clothes to a consignment shop to be sold last December. I am hoping they all have been sold by now, I did price them to sell, but they are old and who knows if anyone will buy them. If they did all sell, this will bring me an extra $300 to spend on show clothes, woohoo!

I am drooling over the new softshell show coats, well they aren't that new, but new to me, and the tech fabic show shirts! I need to update my show wardrobe badly. Now trying to pick out the show coat I want is a little challenging since I don't know my budget yet because I don't know what sold from the consignment shop (***mental note - call the shop TODAY***), but I have in my brain to set aside tops $400 for new show clothes out of my pocket plus whatever money I get from the consignment clothes. My mom has always taught me to buy quality and to take care of my things and I will have them for years...

I want a black or navy 4 button, double back vent softshell show coat (so many options). I pretty much know I want the Essex Classic Talent Yarn Competition Shirt.


Photo taken from Dover website

In my opinion the farreri of show coats is the Animo Competition Jacket, my shop-aholic side knows I can very conveniently order one from Dover Saddlery, my Amax is shaking in my wallet, but my realistic side says I DO NOT NEED a $800+ show coat.

But they are very pretty:

Photo taken from Dover website


Stepping down a few hundred of dollars, but in my opinion not stepping down in quality, is the Grand Prix Rylie Show Coat priced around $450. Grand Prix has always fit me nicely. I really like this coat and if I get a good return on the consignment shop items (if all items sell it will be around $300 after the shop takes their cut) this is the coat I will probably go for.


Photo taken from Dover website

Another coat that I want to try on before making any purchase is the RJ Classic Xtreme Soft Shell. I have not had much exposure to RJ Classic coats before, but reading reviews, this coat is a definite try on and the local tack shop carries RJ Classic coats. They go for around $430. I also have a $100 gift certificate from Christmas to this tack shop!!!

 

Photo taken from Smartpak website


The Ariat Triumph Coat looks like I must try on too.  The reviews are mixed and I think it is best for me to try on and find out how it fits.  I really like the look though.


Photo taken from Smartpak website
 
 

Now I can get into the bargain coats.  The Horseware Competition Coat looks very interesting and for under 100 bucks.  It doesn't have 4 buttons or a double vent back, but for the price you can't beat it.  The bargain shopper in me is hopping this coat fits well!

Photo taken form Smartpak website

Also at the tack store I am going to try on more of the RJ Classic brands like the essential and prestige and see how they fit.  These are more of a hunter ring coat, but for the price and if it fits well, I will be okay with that.  Who knows if Liam stays this quit I might see the hunter ring again...

So many choices, which coat would you choose?
 


6 comments:

  1. I actually don't like the softshell's and prefer my old school jackets :) I do like the new shirts that are out though, fabric is much softer and forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I haven't tried a softshell on yet. Maybe I won't like how it feels either...

      Delete
  2. I love my grand prix jackets! They fit awesome, and I just really like the look of them. That said, I picked one of mine off SUPER cheap on ebay. If you want to mix in some bargain hunting try there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do really love grand prix coats! I had two and the fit was perfect. I am selling them because they are too small now! To be young and super skinny again...

      Delete
  3. I really like the Grand Prix, but I've been out of the jumper world for quite a while now. When I was the buyer at a tack shop, I really liked the quality of the RJ Classics. They were a nice coat for a mid-range price. I'm not the biggest Artist fan, but that's mostly because I'm really tall and everything that fits me in length is usually WAY too big around. How exciting to get new show clothes! I hope you have fun shopping :)

    ReplyDelete