Sunday, March 23, 2014

Spring Physical Done

The vet was out last Friday for Liam's first round of vaccines and spring physical.  Every spring and fall I always have the vet go over Liam to look at his general health, diet, lameness, etc... In normal Liam behavior he was being a difficult patient to say the least, but we managed to get though the exam with minimal rearing and fighting.  He got a clean bill of health!!!  I discussed with my vet the upcoming plans for Liam this year and keeping Liam sound.  The vet suggested that I start Liam on pentosan injections to help his joints. 



My last horse, Kal, was prescribed pentosan and I found that it really did help.  Before I started pentosan with Kal I would have to inject his lower back every six months, but after starting pentosan I was able to inject his back once a year.  Kal's regiment was, after the loading dose, a pentosan shot biweekly.  My vet doesn't feel that Liam will need pentosan that often.  After the loading dose (once a week for four weeks), Liam will get pentosan once a month.  Kal needed it more often because he had a preexisting condition, but with Liam we are just using pentosan as a precaution and to prevent joint damage. 

After discussing the pros and cons with my vet and making a few calls to figure out price it really is a no brainer.  After the loading dose it will cost me $28/month.  $28/month to help keep Liam sound, sounds good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment