Saturday, March 15, 2014

Long Fridays!


First, I would like to thank my first follower, Amy.  Welcome and I hope I keep you entertained!!!

Yesterday was a crazy long day for me.  Thursday I didn’t ride because the weather dropped 20 degrees overnight and I knew Friday would get back into the mid to high 40s.  Figured Liam could have the day off and I headed over to the gym instead early and attended I different exercise class then I normally do.  It was called Total Body Impact.  Well, let me tell you, it was a very high impact class with tons of jumping squats.

So my Friday morning started out by icing my knees at my desk at work because literally the joints felt like they were going to explode!

 



Please don't mind the messy office, you don't notice the mess until you see it in a picture. 
Check, I need to clean my office!


I will not be attending that class again, silly me for going to the gym early to get home earlier then I normally do and cook dinner at a reasonable hour like a normal wife. 

Later, I took my hurting knees to the barn to ride.  Liam is shedding like a beast.

Really not the best picture to show how much he is shedding, but I tried!

 
 
I discovered two more cuts on his face.
I think the horses are over winter and are getting bored out in the field and playing with each other leaving battle scrapes.  It seems like every day my boy has a new cut on his face, come on spring and grass to entertain these horses!!

Rode Liam, he was pretty good.  He really lost a lot of fitness over his January and February “winter break.” I need to remember this and not get frustrated that he can only hold a balanced trot and canter for a little.  When it gets hard, he will root (which is my most hated habit in horses, but of course, I own a rooter) his head.

Our conversation goes something like this:

Liam: “Mom, this is really hard” (insert head root)

Me: “Liam, you just have to try a little harder”

Liam: “but, it’s TOO hard” (insert bigger head root)

Me: “just try please”

Liam: “Okay, but I will only try for a few more strides”

And that conversation will start over about 5-8 strides later again.  But those 5-8 strides were beautiful. 

Then, just about the time I was about to finish up the ride, two other boarders had the audacity to come into the ring as we were just finishing up canter/trot transitions to the left.  Liam decided that he no longer wanted to pay attention to me and balanced transitions and wanted to just get amped up and blow me off.  Unfortunately for Liam he has a very stubborn mom and we did canter/trot transitions until he relaxed.  At one point I said to Liam, “We will be here all night until you take a breath and pay attention me.”  Finally he did, but was really unhappy about it!

I didn’t realize how late it had gotten while riding.  So I quickly untacked Liam and turned him back out.  Ran over to Sampson and did his therapy (I will write up a post on this lovely boy and his injury, making a mental note on this now). 

I had plans to meet my friend down the road to watch her Lesson.  She has had some setbacks with her horse over the past couple of months and they are working through them going back to basics.  It reminded me that basics are really important! 

After my friends lesson, I headed out to dinner with another friend and the trainer and talked horses for hours!  Horse people and their horse talk never ends.  Finally got home and rolled into bed after midnight.  I was exhausted waking up this morning for work, but sleep is over rated in my life!     

No comments:

Post a Comment