Thursday, March 20, 2014

Rides and possibly some shopping in the future!


Liam had Monday off because the temperatures dropped low again.  I went out to the barn on Tuesday and it was almost a spring day!  It was sunny and warm (low 50s, but that is warm to me after this winter).   I warmed Liam up in the indoor, he is very affected by the weather, and he was kick quiet.  I decided to venture outside and see if the outdoor was even close to ride-able. 

That is a big fat nope. Still partially snow covered. Dreaming of spring and riding outside!!!

 
Headed back to the indoor and worked on lengthening and collecting.  I discovered that Liam will rise above the contact transitioning to the collected trot, he will also rise above the contact when I go to balance in a line.  We really worked on this.  I am hoping if I fix the transition from working trot to collected trot this will help us balance better in the lines.  Canter work was good.  It is much easier for him to extend and collect at the canter, although he was being a bit lazy about extending and wanted to get long and flat instead of a balanced extended canter, lazy boy!!!

Yesterday, Wednesday, I arrived at the barn to a rainy cold afternoon.  Got Liam and discovered a new scrape on his leg.

 

What do you think, kick from another horse or self-inflicted?

Tacked up and headed to the ring.  Liam was wide awake, darn weather.  Got on and we were wild to start out.  I put him to work right away by getting him to bend and counter bend both directions and really loosen up.  He settled a little and we worked on the collection and extension from the day before and he remembered and was really good.  Went into the canter and cantered circles over a pole on the ground each direction.  I noticed when I went to balance before the pole, he would drop behind my leg.  I had to really concentrate on almost lifting my hand and closing my leg to the pole and it came up lovely every time.  Liam got really tired and I said, no way buddy, you need to work a little longer to be quiet for your jump school tomorrow, so we worked on long and low and called it quits.

Heading down the mountain today for another jump school, hopefully we won’t be as fresh as we were last time!!!

On a side note, my mattes half pad is finally deteriorating.  The fluffy wool parts are just falling out a little more each day.  I purchased this pad in 2005.  It is almost 9 years old!!!  I can say they wear really well.  I am going to have to get a new half pad soon.  Any suggestions on what I should look at?

 

1 comment: