Saturday, March 22, 2014

Second Jump School of 2014 in the Books

Thursday night I had my second jump school of 2014.  I have to say I am really pleased and Liam and I pretty much picked up right where we left off the beginning of last December.  He was adjustable, listening, and relaxed.  I hope this continues, but if I know horses, hope for the best, but be ready for the worse!

I switched him to a full cheek french link snaffle last November and I am still loving jumping him in this bit.  It just gives me that little bit more of control.  I used to jump him in a loose ring french link, but now I only use that to flat.  The full check is perfect for jumping right now, but it is too much to flat, huh...

Course:

Fun with Paint!!!

We started up the center line gymnastic alternating directions.  I am loving gymnastics.  Liam really hasn't done much gymnastic work due to the fact that I am just too lazy to get on and off a bajillion times to adjust while riding.   I know, I know, lazy is not an excuse, but it really is a pain.

Anyway, back to the course. The gymnastic was set with a pole on the ground 9 ft to crossrail, 18ft 1 stride to 2'3" vertical, 3 strides to 2'6" vertical.  We started out with the 2'3" vertical set as a cross rail and maybe an 18 inch vertical after the 3 strides.  One aspect I love about Liam is that he is very careful, we don't hit rails, but this can bite me in the behind too.  First time though he did the 1 stride in 2 and the 3 stride in 4 strides giving both jumps hard looks.  Man he can really compress his stride, felt totally natural. This proves why I am going to stay in the 2'3" starting out showing this year, he likes to give hard looks at the jumps the first time.  He has yet to stop, but I want him confidently jumping around before moving up.  Came back around and he floated through the 1 stride and the 3 strides the second time through.  Raised the first vertical after the one stride to a high crossrail and the last vertical to about 2'3" after the 3 strides.  The high cross rail was good because it really made him stay straight.  Went though a couple of times, then raised the first vertical to 2'3" and second to 2'6".  He was just floating down the gymnastic and I just went along for the ride, it was lovely.

Next after the gymnastic we alternated directions and jumped the verticals out of the short corner set on the diagonal, back to the trot, back to the gymnastic changing directions. 

Finally we did a course starting with the gymnastic turning left out of the short corner vertical on diagonal. Around the end to 5 stride line (we added up in 6 first time) to the vertical out of the short corner on the diagonal going to the other outside 5 stride (added in 6 first time).  We raised everything to 2'6" and did the entire course again.  He was great!  Lead changes were getting a little sloppy towards the end, but I think he got tired from all the gymnastic work. 

Liam was a good boy and I can't be anymore thrilled with him!  I untacked in the barn and loaded up and went home.  

Liam waiting to go home home patiently!
If I would have written this blog a year ago you would have known that Liam was not patient about going home a year ago!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment