Saturday, March 8, 2014

Rough Winter



This 2013/2014 winter to say the least has been rough.  In New Jersey it has been either brutally cold or snowing.  Because of the weather my winter plans with Liam have gone out the window.

First snow storm of 2013/2014 season, when snow was still exciting!

My original plan this winter was to get solid in the itty bitty (2’3”) jumpers at shows, showing 1x per month.  I found out last season that Liam can be a little peaky at the jumps at the shows and I wanted him to be confident before moving up to the level 0’s.  Where do we come up with these names, “Itty bitty” jumper or “level 0” jumper?  Those division names really make you feel good about yourself, oh well!!!
 
Because of Old Man Winter the plans above just didn’t happen, but that is life.  Time to make adjustments.  Since I didn’t make it to any shows all winter, and basically rode 5x all of January and February I will not be moving up to the all mighty level 0 jumpers come spring.  We are going to stick to the smaller division to start and make sure Liam and I are confident together.
   
To say this winter has been interesting is an understatement.  Our indoor had to shut down for a week a few weeks ago because of the fear of it collapsing from the weight of the snow and ice on the roof.  The barn owners hired about 20 guys to shovel off the roof and when that didn’t work because of the amount of ice frozen on top they created fires inside the indoor to melt the snow.  Wouldn’t you know it, it worked, and the indoor riding ring was saved.  It was very touch and go there for a minute and the barn owners were very scared.

Fires in the indoor!

This week has been the most consistent week all winter and I was able to get 4 rides in and next week weather wise is looking good too.  Just maybe, I am not sure I even want to say it, I can get down to my friends next weekend for a jump school.  

No comments:

Post a Comment