Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Getting Adventurous

Plans never go the way you want them to.  Last week after my rant about Liam's weakness I headed out to the barn with the plan of going down to the hay field and doing many walk/trot transitions and some trot/canter transitions to start to strengthen Liam's now weak hind end.  I arrived at the barn, quickly tacked up, sent my barn owner a text where I was heading, and hopped on Liam.  As I was walking down to the hay field I heard the tractors running. Oh no, they are cutting the field.  So much for those plans.  I heard my name being called from behind me and turned around to see my barn owner running after me to let me know they are cutting the field.  She said that I could go down, but Liam might find it to be spooky because when they cut the grass flies everywhere. 

Liam felt really quiet, so I decided to see how he felt about the flying grass.  I got down to the field and caught up to one of the workers and he said that I would have about 2 hours to ride because they were heading over to a neighboring farm to cut their field first.  Woohoo.  I picked up a trot and my plan was to trot the field once around then start doing transitions.  Again, I should just stop trying to make plans.  Liam was really quiet and I almost made it around the field before I noticed a path heading to an adjacent corn field. 





I never noticed the little opening before.  You can barely see it in the above picture.  I looked for signs that said private property, no trespassing, but there wasn't any.  So I decided to take the path...


We moseyed along and then found this nice wooded path on the opposite side of the corn field. 


This path weaved through the woods for a while and then opened up to another field.


To the right of the above picture is a path next to the crop that I am guessing is soy beans.  This is where I chickened out and turned around.  I did not see any signs but decided it was best to turn around and ask my barn owner about riding on that property before I just did it.

We headed back to the hay field and trotted the field again before heading back to the barn.  I decided to head to the ring for about 5-10 mintues and did some trot/canter transitions and Liam was fabulous. 

I am really excited to venture out further, but don't want to ride on private property that I am not allowed to ride on.  I am going to have to write the property owners letters to see if I am allowed...







 
 
 

 
 



2 comments:

  1. Fingers and toes crossed that they allow you to ride on this new trail! Sounds like Liam was a rock star overall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was! He is very brave and relaxed sometimes, others not so much.

      Delete