Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Costs



 
Some major life changes are happening in my life right now and it made me examine my monthly horse budget.  I think my budget is pretty reasonable for the area I live in.

Here goes:

Board - $325
Shoes - $130
Feed - $130
Supplements - $30
 
***Feed is just under $130 for 5 bags.  Liam eats more in the winter and goes through about 5 bags of feed a month and eats considerably less in the summer because of the grass and eats about 5 bags every month and a half or so.  Liam has front shoes only.  He gets shod every 6-7 weeks in the winter and 4-5 weeks in the summer.  I decided to round up on the high side for my budget purposes.
 
Yearly Costs:
 
Shots 2x/year: $500
Insurance: $600
Supplies: $500
 
Liam is on a bare bones budget and only gets things when absolutely needed.
 
Liam in total costs me on the high side $748/month... 
 
I hope my hubby doesn't read this...

7 comments:

  1. Budgeting with horses is so hard! I don't know what supplements he gets, but that's something I cut out. It just wasn't worth the money for me at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to budget. I for some reason was expecting that number to be a lot higher... The supplement is Smart Calm Ultra from smartpak and I might start to cut that out...

      Delete
  2. At least with shoes and the feed you are able to carry over the cost between months for the most part leaving more wiggle room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do really balance each other out! Thanks for pointing that out!

      Delete
  3. You know you're a horseperson when you read "$748 a month" and immediately think "that's actually really reasonable..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really isn't bad in the whole scheme of things. Which is actually kind of disturbing when a person really thinks about it. I tried to do a budget for all of the racehorses one time and after seeing how much we spend on them, I'm still not quite sure how we end up making a profit.

    ReplyDelete