Thursday, August 28, 2014

Liam's weak

Warning: I little bit of a whiney rant.

Liam has only been ridden about 3-4 times a week since I put him back to work in the beginning of August.  It is crazy how weak Liam's hind end got with 1 month off and 1 month of light work with mostly field riding. He was very fit and strong going into the Princeton Horse Shows mid-summer.  When asking him to step under now I am finding he is slipping a little.  Like his hind end, espcially stifles, are weak. 

***Now for my rant, I worked so hard to get Liam fit and using himself correctly this spring and early summer, it isn't fair that a little time off made such and impact on his fitness.  yes, I'll take some cheese with my whine.  I love cheese anyway, really, who can say they hate cheese...  Yes I know, life isn't fair, yada yada yada... Lol.  Done with rant...***

Now my plan going forward.  Since I can't stand riding in the ring right now, even though I tortured myself on Tuesday to ride in the ring for 20 minutes, I am going to do excersizes out in the hay field to strenghten him up.   The hay field doesn't have big hills, but it does have rolling hills that are really great.  I am also thinking about doing transitions out there. Not just trotting around the field.  Like trot/walk transitions.  Any other suggests to stenghten my now weak horse?

"Mom, I don't really care that my hind end is weak right now and I am fatter then I have ever been (pic doesn't do his fatness justice, I'll try to get a better one), I am still cute anyways and you shouldn't ride me, just bring me carrots and apples please."

5 comments:

  1. Lots of transitions! Canter-halt especially will get his rear in gear again! One of my favorite exercises is the 10-10-10: 10 strides trot, 10 strides walk, 10 strides canter; mix it up, but only 10 strides each time. You can also vary: 20-20-20, for example. Transitions within each gait also work wonders. And canter reps, focusing on keeping him going round and working from behind, with short trot or walk breaks in between. Interval training like this is great for overall fitness! Take advantage of the rolling hills in the hay field and ask him to do short spurts of gallop up them, or even extended trot up the slopes. It will *really* get him pushing from behind. Liam will have a kick-ass booty in no time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to do some hill work, even just gently sloping when I feel like the back end needs some work. Sometimes I'll lunge on an edge of a hill, so they can go up and down a bit, and really work their back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even just rolling hills will do wonders and they are a great place to start so that he doesn't get sore. He'll have his buns of steel back soon :) Also, for what it's worth, I think it's great that you are getting out of the arena.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hills any kind are really awesome for building hind end strength! I barely take Ramone up anything steep but up and down rolling has helped him a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I am very surprised at how fast he lost his fitness and it definitely is in the hind end. He was sooo fit before Princeton! But at least he is soft and quiet and feels like a fancy hunter! I could canter on him all day!

    ReplyDelete