Thursday, May 29, 2014

Refreshmint - users beware!

I have always loved the product Refreshment by Absorbine.


I used this product all the time on my last horse, Kal.  I really liked how it cooled him down and removed all the sweat gunk from his coat.  I would put about 2 tablespoons in a bucket of water and after hosing Kal off I would sponge him down with the refreshmint water mixture. 

I was ordering my supplement refill for Liam from Smartpak a few weeks ago and my supplement order comes about $15 short of free shipping.  Good excuse for me to order extra stuff when ordering supplements, no?  So, I ordered a bottle of refreshmint last order remembering that I really liked the product.

Well, I used it for the first time on Liam on Monday after the hunter pace.  All in all the product did exactly what I remembered.  It was cooling and removed all the sweat gunk from Liam's coat.  But, according to Liam the product was not up to Liam standards.  While sponging him off he literally started going nuts.  Dramatic pawing, dancing, rearing, leaping, etc... I finished sponging him off and and at this point he was really agitated.  I had no idea what was going on...  I tired to let him graze, but he was almost to the point of being dangerous.  I turned him out dripping wet and he threw himself on the ground and rolled 4 times.  Then galloped around the field and rolled again. 

The only thing I can think of is the refreshmint irritated his sensitive skin?  Later, I was talking with a friend and she was saying that she can't use anything peppermint or spearmint scented as it burns her skin.  I hope it didn't sting him, I feel awful if it did.  I will never use this product again on Liam.

So users beware, if you have a sensitive skinned horse, refreshmint can really bother their skin.

What do you all use after a really hard workout where your horse got really sweaty that is gentle on the skin?


8 comments:

  1. Other then using EquiFuse for baths, after I ride i just use plain old water. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Vetrolin liniment religiously :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just use a splash of their liniment (from the spray bottle) in a 5 gallon bucket of water to sponge off with after shows/hard workouts. Bobby's very sensitive to it when applied directly, but he's never had a problem with it diluted down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same problem with Lily. I've tried Thermaflex and on a different occasion Absorbine's regular liniment on her and she reacted the SAME way as Liam! Mind you, I only used a splash of liniment in an 5 gallon bucket. Her reaction to the Thermaflex was especially awful: I had to bathe her after to remove it and even then her skin became really really hot wherever the linimented water had touched her. I was horrified and felt AWFUL. My own skin had a similar reaction, except I ended up with red welts wherever the liniment water had made contact! Threw out the bottle immediately. Within the hour her skin was back to normal. I had to take Benadryl. OMG. The only thing I can use with her is Vetrolin. She loves it, whether straight as a brace or diluted. It's what I've stuck to since then. It nice that I don't have a reaction to it either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the Sore No More performance liniment.

    ReplyDelete