Saturday, May 17, 2014

Prep for Day Show

Tomorrow Liam and I are heading to a schooling show at Nona Garson's farm, The Ridge in Riverview.  It really is a great venue to horse show at.  It has a huge flat jumper ring with simple but beautiful jumps.  My only complaint about the show, and I haven't shown there in awhile, is you have to park your trailer far away from the ring, and the little old man that parks you is a bit grumpy.  Everything else is great though. The show is a reasonable price, has good footing, great courses, and all & all usually a fun day.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the day before a day show is a process.  I am sure everyone has there own way of doing things put I figured I would share with you what I do the day before a day show.

I fetch Liam from the field:

Why is Liam always the furthest one away?  See the red head way in the back???

Pull his mane to make sure it is sharp.  I actually never let it get that long, but I find I always need to do a few touch ups the day before a show.  I only like to pull a mane when it is dirty.  I find that I get more grip and it is just easier.

Then I will trim his whiskers.  I never trim whiskers unless I am showing.  Liam lives outside 24/7 and I want him to get all the insect protection he can get.  I clean up under his chin with the clippers too.  Also, I clip off the outside hair sticking out of his ears.  I do not clip the inside of his ears, again he lives out and I want him to have all the protection he can.  I don't want ugly old man hair sticking out of his ears though, so they get trimmed.  I am fortunate that Liam is good about clipping and I can literally stand on the ground and clip everything.

Next I usually give Liam a good flat school.  Get him listening to go and stop.

Now it is bath time.  I scrub every part from head to tail.  I don't have a favorite product to shampoo with.  I find when I am low I just pick up a bottle of something new.  I guess one day I will find a favorite.  I am very interested in trying lucky braid's shampoo.  I have heard it is really good.

While Liam is drying, I clean all my tack and polish my boots and pack the trailer with everything.  I really don't have much packing.  I pretty much keep the trailer packed.  I have my show pads in there, show bridle, Liam's show boots, towels, water bucket, first aid supplies, fly spray, and grooming supplies.  All I need to usually add is my schooling bridle (you never know), half pad, girth, helmet, and boots for me.  I have a pair of gloves, spurs, and a stick that I only use for shows/lessons already in the trailer too, since I ship out for all my lessons they never come out.

Once I am done packing, Liam is typically dry, so I throw on a head to tail fly sheet, in hopes to keep some dirt off him overnight, and throw him back outside.  So far I have only had to wash his legs again in the morning.

I get home a prepare all my clothes and paperwork for the show and there you have it.  My day before show prep.

2 comments: