Monday, August 18, 2014

The Last Two Months


It has really been crazy the last two months and I just haven’t found the time or my voice to post.  A lot of things are changing for me regarding Liam and I just don’t have a current direction (well sort of).
To recap:
The second week of the Princeton Horse Show (July 4th week) went really well for Liam and I.  We got ribbons in all our classes.  He was much more relaxed in the barn area then week 1 and I couldn’t be more proud of him.  My plan after the 2 week horse show was to give Liam 1 week off, then 1 week of light hacks, then back to regular work.  To say the least, that just didn’t happen, is an understatement.
One thing led to another and before I knew it Liam had a month off between twisting a shoe, a camping vacation, my husband’s birthday, and weather.  I started riding Liam consistently again the first week in August.

First ride back after having a month off. I couldn’t be more thrilled to be in the saddle again and Liam was quiet and happy to be ridden.

After having a month off from riding I really started to have a different opinion.  It is really hard to put into words and this is probably why I have waited this long to post.  To put it simple, I enjoyed not riding.  (what?)  It was a really weird feeling.  I had more time to do the little things that I never get to do.  Like time to see friends, clean my house, get a pedicure, see family, etc…  Don’t get me wrong, it is not like I went a month without seeing Liam.  I saw him about 2-3 times a week compared to 5-6 times when he is in full work.    I love Liam and he will never be for sale, but I don’t think I want to continue down the path I was going with him, at least for now.  Liam is a ton of work to get ready for the show ring and right now thinking about taking a lesson makes me want to vomit.  Then I started to realize it wasn't the not riding part I enjoyed (I actually missed riding), but it was the no pressure part I enjoyed of not riding.  No pressure to get to a lesson, no pressure to do my homework from my lesson, no pressure to practice, just no pressure... 
So what did I find to enjoy over the last several weeks regarding riding?  It is trail riding and activities outside of the ring.   I do not want any part of riding in the ring right now.  I have been going down to the hay field and riding the perimeter of the field.  I was able to trailer over to Christy Hoffman’s park once with my friend and her pony.  I have been having a blast doing these sort of activites.  Liam is getting better about trail riding, but still not super good.  He is a bit nervous, but I figure if we keep going, he will get better and better.  Also, I have only been riding 4 days a week.  I think this is a good compromise.  A friend has been helping me out and riding Liam 1 day a week for me (my late night at work), so Liam is getting ridden 5 days a week still.    

My plan for now is to continue to do more and more trail riding.  Get down to the hay field and trailer out somewhere at least once a week (hopefully).  I wish my barn had more access to trails.  I only really have the hay field to ride in, but it is a nice big field and if I go around it 3 times it is 4 miles (tracked by my runtastic app on my phone).  I have plans to go to Christie Hoffman’s again, a wildlife preserve, trail access from a friends barn, and round valley park over the next several weeks.   Let’s see how many we can get to before the weather gets bad.  I also have plans to do as many hunter paces as I can make over the fall months.  Thank goodness my friend with her pony is on board and I am hoping this can be a new adventure for Liam and I…  I won't say I will never go back to lessons and horse showing because I am sure the itch will come back, but for right now I am enjoying the relaxed pace we are on now...

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes its just what you need. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what's funny? I was just thinking about you today. "It's been awhile since JWall posted." I enjoy your blog because your DIY approach is exactly what I've done with my own horses forever...thank you for following my blog, as otherwise I wouldn't have discovered yours! I know I don't comment enough (Blogger hates my phone and that's where I do most of my commenting from), but I did want you to know that I'm an avid reader!

    And yes, sometimes we just need a break from the arena. And it's good for the horses: they end up being able to handle so much more variety in their lives. It will make Liam a better show horse in the long run, if you choose to return to showing with him. And if you don't go back to showing that's fine too: it's supposed to be *fun* after all! ;) Looking forward to reading all about your future adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Saiph... I am also an avid reader of your blog as well. To be honest your adventures are what inspired me to start this new path with Liam, so really I need to thank you!

      Delete
    2. Oh that's awesome!! Glad we could inspire! :)

      Delete