Monday, June 9, 2014

Liam redeemed himself and earned another meal! Jump School 6/8/14

***Please note that the title is a joke and I don't actually make Liam earn his meals***

I was all smiles after my jump school yesterday morning!

Not the most flattering picture of myself, but I couldn't have been happier!  Liam wasn't at all enthused.

After my disappointing jump school last Wednesday night I went home and started analyzing Liam's program and what has changed to make him misbehave so badly at the last jump school.  I don't know about the rest of you, but when I have a bad ride I analyze and obsess over it for days, basically until I have a good ride.   What I realized through my grueling analysis was that Liam just wasn't working hard enough at flatwork. We came out of the winter really focusing in on flatwork.  Since the weather has turned, I really have relaxed on flatwork and just have been enjoying hacks in the field, trail rides, and hunter paces.  Yes, those fun rides are important, but Liam also needs consistant boring flatwork to keep him sharp.  He is still green and not a made horse yet.

So Friday and Saturday I headed out to the barn with flatwork in mind.  I wanted to get Liam soft and supple in the bridle.  Friday he was very offended that I wanted to work him in the ring.  I was just patient and waited for him to give, and he gave beautiful.  Saturday he gave much quicker, but he played the spook game to get out of working.  Again I was patient and he finished up lovely.

So I headed to my jump school yesterday morning with high hopes.  I got a text from my friend/trainer on the way that she left me a bit to try on Liam.  It is a stubben golden wing gag snaffle.


Popped that bad boy on and headed to the ring.  Started flatting in it and Liam right away accepted the bit easily.  We schooled over some low jumps and he felt great.

All the jumps were raised to a solid 2'9" to 3' and we jumped a course.  Liam was amazing!!!  He was listening, no shenanigans after the jumps, and no curling.  Did we have mistakes still, of course we did, but the mistakes we had were my fault and/or Liam's greenness.  He actually had 2 refusals, but not dirty refusals.  Both times I took my leg off and didn't ride to the jump and he just petered out to a halt in front of the jump.  Both times I came back around a rode to the jump and he popped right over.  What I learned was when the jumps go up I need to ride to ALL the jumps.  Liam needs help over the bigger jumps still.  As long as my leg was on, Liam will leave from anywhere. 

My friend is going to let me ride in her bit a few more times before I shell out the $100 for it.  It really is a good balance of leverage and side of the mouth control. 

Who knows why Liam was so good yesterday morning.  Could it have been the bit, maybe the good flat rides for two days before, or maybe Liam was just plain old more riddable yesterday.  Who knows, but I will take it!




3 comments:

  1. I like the golden wing bits. Quite novel.

    He looks like, "Aw, mooomm."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I have the gold wing snaffle and really like it. I also obsess over a bad ride. To me it's a good thing if you take the time to analyze what went wrong and work through a different perspective after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually just bought this bit for $77 from ridingwarehouse. Glad you had a good experience in it. I'm looking forward to trying it out myself :)

    ReplyDelete