Monday, June 23, 2014

Final Jump School before PSJ

Yesterday was my final jump school before the first week of the Princeton Show Jumping horse show this week.  I feel like I have been anticipating, planning for, and talking about this horse show forever. 


I loaded the Liam cuteness in the trailer and headed down the mountain.  I gave him a serious pep talk before we left the barn though.  I told Liam that I really needed a very confident building ride today before the big show and to not pull any shenanigans.  Saturday, Liam was really bad.  I was trying to ride in the ring with another boarder that has a gaited horse and a very squeaky saddle.  Every time the horse came up behind Liam, Liam would leap forward.  Or if the horse was coming at him he spun the other way.  Eventually, I gave up and headed into the indoor and Liam was ridden until he said no more.  If you are going to pull crap like spooking at another horse then you are going to get a hard ride until you give it up.  After about 45 minutes to a hour straight of trotting and cantering Liam called it quits.  Sometimes he just needs those rides.

I didn't know what to expect my jump school to be like on Sunday after our horrific Saturday ride.  To my surprise Liam was very cooperative.  He listened really well and we put together a really good final course with all the jumps set at a solid 2'9".  Two inches higher then we will show at.  That felt really good.

I am a bit nervous about this show.  It will be many firsts for Liam and I.  It will be out first "away" show, meaning Liam will be staying in a stall on the show grounds.  It will be our first show at .80 meters a solid 4 inches higher then our last show.  It will be our first rated horse show ever.  I am confident we can handle the height, we have been jumping a solid 2'6" - 2'9" at home since march.  I am nervous about how Liam is going to handle living on the show grounds though.  It might be interesting, but exciting at the same time!

I am planning on bring Liam over to the show grounds tomorrow afternoon to get him settled in and his first classes will be on Wednesday morning.  Wish us luck!



 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a big step, but that you are more than ready for it! Have a blast and take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete